Chilled asparagus soup with argan oil
This recipe is presented to you by Ludo Lefebvre.
For 4 people
- 4 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed, cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons Argan oil or good-quality extra virgin olive oil
- Fleur de sel
To make the Soup:
- Cook the asparagus in a large pot of boiling salted water until very tender but still green, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer the asparagus to a large bowl of ice water to cool.
- Cut off the asparagus tips. Place half of the tips in a small bowl; cover and refrigerate.
- Working in four batches, puree the remaining tips and pieces in a blender until smooth, adding about 3 tablespoons of the ice water to each batch to help form a puree.
- With the machine running, drizzle 1/3 cup of oil through the feed tube into the soup. Process until well-blended.
- Season the soup to taste with fleur de sel.
- Cover and refrigerate until cold.
- Do-ahead: The soup and reserved asparagus tips can be prepared 4 hours ahead. Cover the soup and refrigerate. Keep the tips refrigerated.
- Ladle the soup into 4 soup bowls.
- Cut the reserved asparagus tips lengthwise in half and float them atop the soup.
- Sprinkle each serving with a pinch of fleur de sel. Drizzle each serving with ½ teaspoon of oil.
- Serve immediately.
Recipe by Ludo Lefebvre ©2016