Apple and Blackcurrant Pie
This recipe is presented to you by Our Kitchen
Makes 2 medium pies
Apple and blackcurrant mixture
- 2 soft cooking apples (or 1 tin of sliced apples)
- 2 cups water (or 1 tin of slice apples + water)
- 6 granny smith apples
- 500g (18oz) frozen blackcurrants
- 1 orange, zested
- ¼ cup sugar
- 50g (1.7oz) butter
- 2 cups flour
- 115g (4oz) butter
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- Iced water
- Start with making the pastry; cut the butter into cubes and place in the freezer.
- Once cold, process with the flour, salt and sugar. Don’t process for longer than 1 minute as your butter will start to warm up and clump together.
- Add 1 tbsp ice cold water at a time until the pastry starts to come together in a ball.
- Take dough out of processor, knead a little to combine, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Empty frozen blackcurrants into a bowl to defrost.
- Cut the soft, cooking apples into cubes (approximately 1cmx1cm/0.4x0.4 inch). Place in a large sauce pan with water. Cook on a low-moderate heat for at least 15 minutes stirring occasionally. Keep checking this as you may need to add more water. You want this to be like a thick, chunky sauce. Alternatively to step 6, you can cook a tin of sliced apples with water until the apples break down.
- Peel and core the granny smiths. Slice thinly.
- Add the granny smith apples, orange zest, butter and sugar to the apple sauce (once it has broken down). Cook for 5-10 minutes to soften the granny smith apples (you want them to still retain some firmness).
- Take the apples off the heat and leave to cool.
- Preheat your over to 190°C (370°F) on Fan Bake.
- Remove the dough from the refrigerator. Using a rolling pin and a little flour, roll the dough out thinly to 2-3mm (0.1 inch).
- Grease a flan tin and line the tin with the dough. Refrigerate the dough-lined tin.
- Drain the apple mixture a little to get rid of any excess juice. Add the blackcurrants to the apple mixture and gently combine (the blackcurrants have a very strong pigment and will turn the apple purple).
- Spoon the apple and blackcurrant mixture into the refrigerated pie shells.
- Roll out the remaining pastry, cut into strips and make a lattice on the top.
- Fan bake for 10 minutes at 190°C (370°F), then reduce heat to 170°C (340°F) and cook for a further 10 – 15 minutes.