Cookie Ice-Cream Sandwiches
This recipe is presented to you by Our Kitchen
- 2 cups flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 170g (6 oz) butter, softened
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped chocolate pieces – I used a mix of white and dark.
- 1 L (1 quart) vanilla ice-cream
- Melted chocolate, chopped nuts and sprinkles to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 165 ˚C (330° F) on Fan Bake and arrange the oven shelves so they are spaced evenly at about 1/3 and 2/3 down the cavity. Lightly grease or line two baking trays.
- Sieve the flour, baking soda and cinnamon into a medium-sized bowl.
- Combine the melted butter and sugars in a large bowl. Add the eggs, extra egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well combined.
- Add the sieved flour and chocolate chunks and stir until just combined.
- For rectangular sandwiches, roll the dough out to approx 5mm thick and bake in two large rectangles, 24cm x 36cm each (10 x 15 inch).
- Alternatively, to make round cookies: divide the dough evenly into 24 pieces and roll into balls. Space them evenly on the oven trays, allowing plenty of room for them to spread.
- Bake for between 12 and 15 minutes until very light brown. The darker the cookies, the crisper they will be.
- Allow cookies to cool completely. If making rectangular cookies, cut each sheet into 12 evenly sized pieces.
- To assemble, allow ice-cream to soften a little and use a butter knife to spread half the cookies with ice-cream. Sandwich together and immediately return to freezer in an airtight container to firm up.
- Immediately before serving, drizzle melted chocolate over cookies and decorate with sprinkles and chopped nuts.