This recipe is presented to you by Ludo Lefebvre.
Photo credit: Ludo Lefebvre
- 4 vanilla beans, split lengthwise
- 4 2-pound whole live lobsters
- 2 tablespoons aged balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cantaloupe, seeded
- 1 mango, pitted
- 1 papaya, halved, seeded
- 1 large avocado, halved, pitted
- 2 cups mixed baby greens
For the lobsters:
- Fill a large pot with water. Scrape in the seeds from the vanilla beans; add the beans. Bring the water to a boil. Working with one lobster at a time, submerge the lobsters headfirst into the boiling water, and cook until the shells are bright red and the meat is opaque, about 5 minutes. Using tongs, transfer the lobsters to a large bowl; cool. Remove the meat from the tails and claws. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
For the salad:
- Whisk the vinegar, lemon juice and honey in a large bowl to blend. Gradually add the oil, whisking until the vinaigrette is well blended. Season to taste with fleur de sel and pepper.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the flesh of each fruit to form small balls.
The lobsters and vinaigrette can be prepared up to 8 hours ahead. Keep the lobsters refrigerated. Cover and refrigerate the vinaigrette; bring it to room temperature and rewhisk before using. All the fruit, except for the avocado, can be prepared up to 2 hours ahead (prepare the avocado just before serving to prevent it from discoloring). Cover the fruits separately and refrigerate.
To finish and serve:
- Cut the lobster tails lengthwise in half. Toss the lobster tails and claw meat in a large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat. Arrange 2 claw meat pieces in the center of each of 4 large plates. Arrange 2 lobster halves around the claw meat pieces. Toss the mixed baby greens in the same large bowl with enough vinaigrette to coat (about 2 tablespoons). Mound the greens atop the lobster pieces, dividing equally. Toss all the fruit with 1 tablespoon of vinaigrette. Arrange the fruit around the greens and serve immediately.