This recipe is presented to you by Our Kitchen.
A contemporary and delightful adaptation of the traditional potato-based gnocchi by using pumpkin.
- 1 lb pumpkin, peeled and cubed
- Olive oil
- 1 lb Agria potatoes, washed but not peeled
- 5 oz high grade flour
- 2 and 1/2 oz parmesan, finely grated, plus extra for serving
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil and butter for frying
Sage butter sauce
- 1/2 cup sage leaves
- 3 and 1/2 oz butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 350°F on Bake
- Arrange pumpkin pieces on a lined baking tray, drizzle with a little olive oil and roast until tender (approximately 30 minutes).
- Meanwhile boil the potatoes in salted water with the skins on until tender. Drain well and peel with a paring knife while still hot (if the potatoes are not hot when peeled they can become gluey when mashed).
- Place peeled potatoes in a large mixing bowl, add roasted pumpkin pieces and mash until very smooth. Make a well in the centre.
- Add egg, parmesan, nutmeg, and half the flour. Mix together with a butter knife until just combined.
- Turn out onto a floured bench, season well with salt and pepper, and slowly incorporate as much of the remaining flour until the dough is no longer sticky. It is important not to overwork the mixture.
- Divide dough into thirds, and roll out into lengths approximately 1 inch thick. Sprinkle with a little flour and cut on the diagonal into 1 and 1/2 inch long pieces. Gently place gnocchi onto a floured tray.
- Boil a large pot of salted water. Heat a little oil and butter in a large, heavy-based frying pan.
- Boil gnocchi in batches. They will rise to the surface when cooked. Remove with a slotted spoon, and transfer to frying pan.
- Fry until golden, turning once. Keep cooked gnocchi warm in a low oven until all gnocchi are cooked.
- Serve immediately with sage butter sauce and shaved parmesan.
Sage butter sauce
- In a medium-sized pan, heat butter over a low heat. Once melted, add sage leaves and fry until crisp. Remove pan from heat and add garlic. Spoon over cooked gnocchi.