For the shortcake
- Pre-heat the oven to 225°C (440°F) and grease a baking tray.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. Cut in the butter until it is coarse crumbs or small lumps well distributed. Add milk and mix but do not over-mix.
- Separate dough into individual portions (two or three), each about 7-8 cm (3 inch) in diameter, and place on the baking tray or in pie tins. Brush tops with melted butter and sprinkle with a bit of sugar.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes until tops are a golden colour. Cool on wire racks.
- Place one shortcake on the bottom of a cake stand. Spread whipped cream over generously and then lay sliced strawberries (with their juice).
- Top with another shortcake and repeat with cream and strawberries. If you have three shortcakes, repeat.
This is best eaten as soon as assembled.